The owner is provided with a license tag that should be attached to the animals collar. If an animal with a tag is found loose in the Village, the Police Department is able to contact the owner of the animal.
Changes to the Ordinance
The Village Board recently made changes to Wheeling's animal license ordinance.
- Residents must now purchase an animal tag one time only. Once a tag has been obtained, it will be valid for the life of the animal.
- In addition, proof of rabies vaccination is no longer required to obtain the village animal tag.
Purchasing a Tag
- If you have already purchased an animal tag, you do not need to purchase a new one.
- If you do not have a tag, you may purchase one for $14.25 at the Village Hall building.
- If you prefer, you may download a copy of the application (PDF) and mail it with the $14.25 fee to the Village and a tag will be mailed to you.
Replacement tags can be purchased for $1.50 at the Village Hall or by mail if the original tag is lost.
Failure to Obtain a Tag
Please note that in the event a citation has been issued for failure to obtain an animal tag, the required license fee shall be paid prior to the paying of any fines. The penalty for failing to obtain the necessary dog or cat license is a minimum of $50.
For more information, contact the Finance Department at 847-459-2627.