Services > Police
The security of the Village of Wheeling depends greatly
on citizen involvement. No Illinois law enforcement agency can
effectively protect life and property without the support and
cooperation of the citizens they serve. The Wheeling Police
Department needs your help in countering terrorism. Much like
our Neighborhood Watch program, we ask you to be our eyes and
ears. Reporting of suspicious activity can help disrupt the
terrorist planning cycle. Terrorists are trained to "blend
in" and assimilate to their surroundings. Most terrorist's
acts are well organized and well planned. Terrorists will
conduct training, surveillance and "dry runs" prior to
commission of a terrorist act. They like to strike at government
and civilian targets in an effort to instill fear. Although it
is the intent of the terrorist to instill fear in you, it is
your vigilance that the terrorist fears most. Reports can be
made any time by dialing 9 - 1 - 1.
When recording the essential details utilize the following
- Who did I observe?
- What specifically did I see?
- Where did I observe the specific
- When did I observe the specific
- Why do I think the behavior is
There are three elements in reporting a description to the
- Accuracy (most important)
Tips on Giving a Description For a person:
- Age (approximate)
- Height (approximate)
- Weight (approximate; use 10lb.
- Build (medium, heavyset, thin, etc.)
- Hair (color, length, include facial
- Complexion (light, dark, ruddy,
- Eyes (color, glasses)
- Peculiarities (scars, tattoos,
missing limbs, etc.)
- Clothing (from head to toe, style,
- Weapons (if any) - Method of
escape (direction, vehicle, etc.)
For a Vehicle:
- Year, make and model
- Body type (2 door, 4 door, van, SUV,
- Passengers (number of people in
- License Plate (most important)
- Damage or anything unusual (logos,
etc.) - Color
We need you to:
- Remain alert and be aware of everyday
activities in your neighborhood. Take
notice of unusual behavior.
- Report any unattended
backpacks, suitcases or packages left in inappropriate
- Encourage the involvement of family,
friends and neighbors.
- Take precautions when traveling. Do
not accept packages from strangers. Do
not leave luggage unattended.
- Learn where emergency exits and
stairways are located.
- Think about how to
evacuate a building or congested public area in a hurry.
aware of what is going on around you at home and while you
Suspicious Activity In the event you become aware of
- Do not take direct action
- Do not confront the individual; and
- Do not reveal your suspicions.
- Do record as many details as
- Do notify the appropriate authorities
as soon as possible.
- Do become involved in
Neighborhood Watch. Neighbors working together with
police and other emergency
and reporting incidents, conditions and crime in their
Ways to Improve Observation Skills
- Employ good listening skills
- Do not let personal feelings interfere with the
- Look at the entire situation before
making a judgement
- Watch for non-verbal communications
- Use feedback to obtain and verify
information and observations
- Observe and report - Do not become
More Terrorism Links
- Shelter in Place from the
Federal Emergency Management Agency
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)