Services > Community Development

Building Division

The Building Division of the Community Development Department is responsible for all code enforcement activities related to construction of new buildings, including plan review, permit issuance, and all related inspections.

Property Maintenance

The Village of Wheeling establishes minimum standards for all property within the Village in order to protect the health, safety and welfare of citizens.  These standards are enforced by Municipal Inspectors in the Community Development Department through a process called property maintenance code enforcement.  The Community Development Department is available to help residents understand how to come into compliance with these standards.  Some of the issues addressed in property maintenance include exterior maintenance of all buildings and property areas, garbage and refuse disposal, grass and weed control, as well as maintenance of garages, sheds, fences and sidewalks.

The Village of Wheeling has adopted the IPMC 2012 Property Maintenance Code that establishes the minimum property maintenance standards that are enforced throughout the community.  To view the  Property Maintenance Code, you may stop by the Community Development Department Office.

If you are intending to hold a garage sale, the Village has developed a pamphlet with tips to keep in mind for a successful and safe event.  The Village’s requirements on garage sales signs are also found in the pamphlet.  To view this pamphlet click here.

Back To TopRental Licensing

The Village of Wheeling requires all residential properties to be licensed.  The purpose for the licensing and inspection of rental residential property is to protect the public health, safety, and welfare of the residents of the Village.  This ordinance protects the public health and safety by insuring that rental units comply with the minimum housing standards, along with maintaining and improving the character and stability of residential areas.  It will also correct and prevent housing conditions that adversely affect, or are likely to affect, the life, safety, health, and general welfare of persons occupying the dwellings.  The Village of Wheeling also seeks to eliminate overcrowding of dwellings by requiring compliance with established occupancy standards.

All owners of rental property in the Village of Wheeling must obtain a license. There are applications available for a single-family building, an individual condominium or townhouse, as well as for multi-unit buildings such as apartment buildings, duplex and/or multi-unit ownership. Applications are available by clicking here. Before any rental inspection may proceed, the Village of Wheeling requires a consent form be signed by the dwelling occupant and returned to the Community Development Department. To obtain the consent to rental residential inspection form click here.

To view a copy of the “ Guide to Property Maintenance Codes for Rental Residential Properties” click here.

Back To TopBackflow Prevention Program

Frequently Asked Questions

The Backflow Prevention Program is a requirement of the Safe Drinking Water Act (1974, amended in 1986 and 1996), which was written to protect human health from contaminants in drinking water and to prevent contamination of existing groundwater supplies. The Act, as amended, requires the installation and maintenance of an approved backflow prevention assembly at the water service connection whenever a potential hazard is determined to exist in a customer’s system. Without proper protection devices, cross connections can occur. The following are frequently asked questions regarding the Village of Wheeling’s Backflow Prevention Program to prevent backflow contamination of the water supply.

What is backflow?

Under normal conditions, water from the public water main flows into a plumbing inside a home or business. When backflow occurs, the water flows from the plumbing in the home or business the back into the public water supply.

How does backflow occur?

Backflow occurs when the water pressure in the home or business is higher than the pressure in the water distribution system. This condition can be caused by a drop in water pressure in the distribution system or by the presence of systems within a home or business that operate at higher pressures than that of the distribution system.

What is a cross-connection?

A cross-connection is a connection between a public water system and a non-potable (non-drinkable) source of possibly contaminated water or other fluid. If such a connection exists and is not properly controlled, contaminants could make their way from a non-potable source into the potable water supply should a backflow occur.  Because of the risk of contamination such systems typically require the installation and proper maintenance of a backflow prevention assembly. Examples of common cross connections are: lawn sprinkler systems, outdoor pools, commercial kitchen equipment, commercial laundry equipment, and fire suppression systems.

What is a backflow prevention assembly?

A backflow prevention assembly is a mechanical device that prevents water from flowing backwards. Common types assemblies are a Testable Double-Check Valve and Reduced Pressure Zone (RPZ) valve.

How often must a backflow prevention assembly be tested?

Assemblies must be tested when installed and once a year thereafter.

Who can test backflow preventers?

Any licensed plumber who is certified by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency as a Cross Connection Device Inspector (CCDI) is acceptable.

Why have I received a letter from BSI, Inc. reminding me that my backflow assembly must be inspected rather than the Village?

The Village has hired BSI, Inc. to manage the Village’s backflow inspection program, including maintaining records. Because of the large number of assemblies in the Village it is more economical and efficient to have BSI run the program. BSI is a company that has a vast experience in managing such systems and provides its services to numerous communities in the Chicago area. BSI will contact assembly owners when an annual inspection is required.

How do I change the contact information for a backflow prevention assembly on my property?

To change the contact name or telephone number for a backflow prevention assembly, the customer may contact BSI, Inc. at (800) 414-4990.

Who is responsible for sending in the completed “Backflow Prevention Assembly Test Report”


The tester is responsible for returning the original, signed test reports to BSI, Inc., either by mail or email of a high-quality scan. The test reports must be submitted within five calendar days of the test date. Testers should provide their customers with proof that the forms have been submitted as required.

What if my backflow prevention assembly fails the test?

If an assembly fails, it must be repaired or replaced. Replacement of an assembly requires a permit from the Community Development Department at (847) 459-2620.

What happens if I don’t have my assembly tested?

If assembly test results are not received by the end of the month in which testing is required, BSI, Inc. will send you a second notice requiring testing within 30-days. If you do not have your backflow prevention assembly tested, further action will include citations, with a minimum fine of $50 and a  maximum daily fine of $500 per day, and potentially the termination of water service until the required actions have taken place.

How do I get a backflow prevention assembly removed?

Removal, replacement, or relocation of a backflow prevention assembly requires a plumbing permit from the Community Development Department. The removal of an assembly is not allowed until an inspection is conducted by the Village and a determination is made that the assembly is no longer needed.

I have several backflow prevention assemblies with different test dates: How can I get them tested at the same time?

If you would like to synchronize the test due dates for several assemblies on different water meters, or at your property, please contact BSI, Inc. at (800) 414-4990.

I received a cross connection survey on my water usage at my business or home. What is this about?

Most cross connections are observed by the Village during inspections associated building permits or business license applications.  However, the Village also conducts periodic surveys to identify and eliminate possible sources of cross connections to help ensure the safety of the public water supply. The information collected through the surveys helps to identify where backflow prevention devices may be needed as well as providing information on existing devices that may not have been previously submitted to the water company.

Who pays for the testing and how much does it cost?

It is the responsibility of the property owner to pay testing and any required repairs to the backflow device.

Who should I call if I have if I have additional question?

If you have any questions regarding the backflow prevention program please call the Community Development Department (847) 459-2620.

What regulations authorize the Village of Wheeling Backflow Prevention Program?

Backflow prevention is required by federal, state and local regulations, as summarized below:


          Federal: Safe Drinking Water Act (1974, amended 1986 and 1996) and Safe Drinking Water Act Amendments of 1986.

          State of Illinois: in Title 35 of the Illinois Administrative Code.

          State of Illinois Plumbing Code

          Local: Wheeling Municipal Code (Title 16, Chapter 16.2)

Back To TopBuilding Division Personnel

The Village of Wheeling Building Officials and Municipal Inspectors can be contacted at (847) 459-2620.



Untitled 1 Decrease font sizeIncrease font size   Back to Home PageContact Us   
Property Search

Learn more about your community and services around your property.

Enter an address to start:

                Wheeling Calendar

The Village of Wheeling
2 Community Boulevard
Wheeling, IL 60090
Mon ~ Fri    7am ~ 5pm
Ph: (847) 459-2600
Fax: (847) 459-9692

Click Here for a complete department directory

Anonymous Hot Line
Code Enforcement Complaints
(847) 459-CODE