- Make sure the company has a phone number that you can call back.
- Check with Information to see if that number belongs to that company.
- Contact the Better Business Bureau in the area of the company you are about to deal with.
- Check to see if the company / firm has a pattern of bad complaints at the Attorney General Office.
- If you're sending in payment try to send it to a physical address instead of a P.O. Box Number.
If you do find yourself in the middle of a scam and you cannot resolve your problems by contacting the company, contact the following sources:
- Attorney General Office in the State of the company that's defrauding you
- Chief Postal Inspector at 202-268-4267
- Chicago Area Better Business Bureau
- Federal Trade Commission's Chicago Regional Office at 312-353-4423